-Bugsy

You're viewing the original Hometown Invasion Tour website as it appeared when launched in 2006. Back then, a site built with tables and flash was commonplace. A few changes were made, but it appears as it did eleven years ago. A modern and responsive version is in the works.

See what I've been up to for the last ten years at www.bugsy.me

Browse: AK AL AR AZ CA CO CT DC DE FL GA HI IA ID IL IN KS KY LA MA MD ME MI MN MO MS MT NC ND NE NH NJ NM NV NY OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VA VT WA WI WV WY

Your town!
Daily Fruit
Q&A
About
Press
Contact

Jeep
Jeep is a registered trademark
of DaimlerChrysler

Where else to find me:
Flickr
Facebook


50 State Road Trip
View Large Map


50 States
100+ Households
375 Days
1251 Gallons of gas
29,403 Miles

Some Photos: (Over 2300!)
Rice the Squirrel
Random Photo
Photo Archive

Latest Blogs: (437 total)
Random Blog
Blog Archive
Jun 30 - Networking and More
Jun 8 - 141 Gas Stations
May 26 - Daily Fruit 2.0
May 8 - 624 Days in a Duffel Bag
Apr 30 - Bickering About Gas Prices
Apr 16 - We Are All Hokies
Mar 25 - A Small World
Feb 25 - Power to the T-Shirt
Feb 11 - Published in JPG Magazine
Feb 11 - 4 Best Bars in the United States

Daily Fruit

Carbon Monoxide


Wednesday, Nov 29, 2006 from Los Angeles, California

I’ve needed to catch up on this story for a long time. At first I wasn’t sure if I would put it on the site. It took a long time for me to swallow the whole experience as it is. This story takes me back to my last night in White Bear Lake, MN.

You can read the local newspaper article about it here.

It was the evening of September 29th, my last night staying with the Vukelich family. It was between 10 and 11 p.m. and I was ready to hit the bed for the night. I had brushed my teeth and headed down stairs with Linda to print off directions for my next day of driving. Emily and Anna were already in bed. Linda and I noticed an unusual smell in the basement, and very potent. Our first guess was that it was natural gas. We all tried to find a source of it, and nothing. From there we called 911 and they advised us to get out of the house immediately. After a little wait a police officer, fireman, and the local energy guy all came to the house. After being in the house they told us immediately that it was carbon monoxide.

We were also told more about the dangers. Essentially, we were told that if we had gone to sleep (remember the girls were already in bed) that we would have never woke up. It could have been as little as another hour in the house with five people passed out and never waking up again, the levels of CO were getting that high and fast. The unease that I had with the news was like nothing I’ve ever experience.

The cause of the CO was basically three things. First off, newer built houses are built so tight that they have no breathability. Secondly, they had a faulty water heater that they weren’t aware of. I don’t remember the specifics, but it was burning way too hot without bringing any fresh air into the house. Thirdly, upstairs the fireplace was roaring, sucking all of the air out of the house. The energy guy told us that the only reason we could smell the CO is the levels were so high that it was burning what was already burnt in the air. There was no air left in the house to breathe. We opened every window and door in the house (on a night when there were flurries in the air) and let the house vent out until 2 a.m. At that time the levels were back down to zero.

To be only four states in at the time and experience this was difficult to swallow. And even harder was going to sleep that night, knowing what just happened and the thought of not waking up the following morning. Needless to say I didn’t sleep well that night. After going to bed at about 2 a.m. I had to get up at 7 a.m. for a radio interview and then another long drive after that. It’s been a real life experience and makes you appreciate each breath a little more. It’s a testimony of the epic nature of this trip, the things I encounter as experiences of life that can never been anticipated.

Blog Date Posted: Nov 29, 2006 | 547 words | comments 1 Comments
Comment by dad
From baraga, MI

What Justin is not saying because of his modesty, is that the hostess credited God for putting Justin there at that time. If he had not been there, they would not have been up that late or have gone down stairs to discover it.